Quick & Easy Fried Rice
Serves 4 – Recipe by Sophie Gray
- 3 size 7 Henergy Cage Free eggs
- 2 cups long grain white rice – cook and leave for 8 hours or overnight
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 3 rashers of bacon, or a finely sliced ham steak
- 1 cup of shrimps, beef schnitzel, pork mince… whatever meat you have to hand
- 1 teaspoon chicken stock powder dissolved in ½ cup water
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Cooking spray
- 1½ cups frozen mixed vegetables, peas or finely diced fresh vegetables
- Spray the inside of a wok or large frying pan with cooking spray.
- Heat a teaspoon of the sesame oil.
- Break eggs into a bowl and whisk lightly.
- When oil is hot, pour eggs into the pan, tipping it to spread them out into a thin pancake.
- Cook until set then lift out pancake, roll up and set aside.
- Add another few drops of oil to the pan and add the meat.
- Stir fry till cooked then add some more oil and the rice.
- Stir frequently, being sure to scrape the base of the pan to prevent sticking.
- When the rice is starting to crisp a little mix in the soy sauce, salt and stock and continue to cook.
- Add the vegetables and continue to stir fry until they are piping hot.
- Finely slice the egg pancake and scatter into the pan.
The real secret to this dish is using ‘day old’ cooked rice. Either make extra the night before, or cook in the morning and leave in the fridge till evening. Fresh rice becomes sticky and won’t fry.