Spinach and Cheese Strata
- 25g butter
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed and chopped
- 300g bag spinach, roughly chopped and tough stems discarded
- 4 cups bread chunks (approx. 2.5cm in size)
- 1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 4 Henergy Cage-Free eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup grated Tasty Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Melt the butter in a large frypan and gently cook the onion and garlic until tender.
- Add the spinach to the pan and cook until wilted.
- Grease a lasagne dish with butter and arrange half of the bread in the base of the dish.
- Cover the bread with the spinach and sprinkle with grated nutmeg and season with salt and pepper.
- Whisk the eggs and milk together and pour over the spinach mixture.
- Scatter over the cheese, reserving about 1/2 cup.
- Cover with remaining bread chunks and finish with a layer of cheese.
- Wrap tightly in plastic clingfilm and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 180 C. and remove the strata from the fridge while the oven is heating. Bake for 40 minutes or until golden.
- Serve warm.