Shakshuka - Iranian Eggs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium sized red onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 red pepper (capsicum), finely chopped
- 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground paprika
- pinch of chilli powder
- pinch of sugar
- 5-6 Henergy Cage-Free eggs
- coriander leaves to garnish
- toasted pita bread
- Preheat the oven to 180 C. Heat oil in a large frying pan (one that can be transferred to the oven), add the onion, garlic and red pepper and cook until onion is tender.
- Add the tomatoes to the pan along with the spices, salt and pepper to taste and simmer until the tomatoes are thick and saucy.
- Lift the pan from the heat and using a spoon make an indent for each egg. Break the eggs into each cavity and then transfer the pan to the oven.
- Cook until egg whites are set.
- Sprinkle with coriander leaves and serve with toasted pita bread to mop up juices.