Lemon Meringue Slice
Serves Makes 20 pieces
- 125g butter
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 Henergy Cage Free eggs, separated, plus 1 extra egg white
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 cup lemon curd
- 3/4 cup sugar
- Preheat the oven to 170 and line a 28 x 20cm slice tin with baking paper.
- Beat the butter and sugar until pales and creamy, add the egg yolks and mix well.
- Mix in the flour and baking powder
- Press the mixture evenly into the prepared pan.
- Spread the base with the lemon curd (see recipe).
- Beat the egg whites in a clean bowl with an electric mixer until just stiff, add the sugar and continue beating until the mixture is thick and glossy. Gently spread the meringue over the lemon curd
- Bake for 25 minutes or until the meringue is lightly coloured and firm. If the meringue colours too quickly then gently cover with foil.
- Allow to cool before cutting into slices. Store in an airtight container.