Lemon and Elderflower Cake
- 250g butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- finely grated rind of 1 lemon
- 2 cups flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 cup elderflower syrup
- 200g butter
- 3 cups icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180 C (350 F) Grease and line 2 x 20cm (8″) cake tins with baking paper.
- Makes 8 generous slices.
- Beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Mix in eggs, one at a time, beating well after each then add the lemon zest.
- Sift over the combined flour and baking powder, pour in the yoghurt and gently fold the ingredients together.
- Divide the batter between the two tins and bake for 35-40 minutes until golden, firm and a skewer inserted comes out clear. While the cakes are baking combine the elderflower syrup and lemon juice together in a small jug. Pierce the hot cakes with fine skewers or toothpicks and evenly drizzle with syrup. Leave to sit for 15 minutes before removing from the tins to cool. To make the frosting, beat the butter with an electric mixer for a few minutes before adding the icing sugar and continuing to