Chocolate Hot Cross Buns
- 1 1/2 cups full cream milk
- 2 teaspoons active yeast granules
- 2 teaspoons caster sugar
- 4 1/2 cups high grade flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 1/3 cup caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground mixed spice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 75g butter, melted
- 1 size 7 Henergy cage-free egg, lightly whisked
- 150g dark chocolate, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 3/4 cup high grade flour extra, for crosses
- Heat the milk until just lukewarm. Sprinkle over the yeast and sugar and gently stir to combine. Set aside for 5 minutes until frothy.
- In a large mixing bowl sift the flour, cocoa, 1/3 cup caster sugar, cinnamon, mixed spice and salt.
- Lightly mix to combine and make a well in the centre.
- Pour in the melted butter, egg and milk mixture, using a knife mix to combine.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly flour dusted surface, scatter over the chopped chocolate and raisins and knead the dough for 10 minutes until it feels smooth and elastic.
- Place the dough into a lightly greased bowl, cover with a clean tea towel and place in a warm spot until doubled in bulk. About 1 1/2 hours.
- Turn the dough out again, lightly knead and divide into 10 balls.
- Place these close together in a greased roasting pan. Cover, sit in a warm spot and allow to double in bulk.
- Preheat the oven to 200 C.
- Place the flour in a bowl and mix in cold water, a little at a time until the flour forms a thick paste. Place the paste in a piping bag.
- Pipe crosses onto the buns. Place in the oven and bake for 20 minutes until the buns feel firm on the outside and they have good colour.
- Allow to cool to just warm before serving.
- These are best on the day of making.