Helen's Favourite Bacon and Egg Pie
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4 ready rolled sheets butter puff pastry (approx. 650g)
- 350g streaky bacon, cut into 5cm long strips
- 11 Henergy cage-free eggs
- 1/3 cup cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Henergy cage-free egg, lightly whisked (to glaze)
- Preheat the oven to 180 C fanbake. Brush a 23cm square spring form cake tin or baking dish with a little oil.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and gently cook the onion until tender.
- Line the base and sides of the cake tin with pastry and spread the onion over the base.
- Arrange a layer of bacon over the onion and then break over 5 of the eggs. Gently break the yolks by dragging a fork through them.
- Repeat with bacon and remaining eggs.
- Pour over the cream, sprinkle with parsley and season with salt and pepper.
- Cover with pastry, pressing the edges to seal. Brush the pastry with egg and then pierce the centre with a small sharp knife to allow steam to escape.
- Bake in the lower part of the oven for 40 minutes or until puffed and golden.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.