- 5 Henergy Cage Free egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup cream
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 frozen butter puff pastry sheets
- 8 apricots, cooked and preserved in syrup
- 1 Henergy Cage Free egg, lightly whisked
- 1 tablespoon sugar extra (optional)
- In a mixing bowl whisk the egg yolk and half of the sugar until pale and creamy.
- Heat 3/4 cup milk and the cream with the remaining sugar until just about boiling, at the same time stir the flour into the 1/4 cup milk,mixing well. Add the flour mixture to the hot milk and whisk to combine, allow to cook for a few minutes.
- While continuing to mix, very slowly pour the hot milk into the egg yolk mixture.
- Return the custard to the saucepan and cook, stirring over a gentle heat until the mixture has thickened.
- Set aside to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 180 C.
- Cut each pastry sheet into 4 squares. Place on cold baking tray/s.
- Spoon the cool custard into the centre of each square with an apricot in the middle.
- Fold the corners and edges of the pastry over the filling.
- Brush the pastry with egg yolk and sprinkle with a little sugar if you like.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until puffed and golden.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
- These are best eaten on the day of making.
- Makes 8