- 1/2 cup cornflour
- 1/2 cup icing sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup liquid glucose
- 1 cup sugar
- 20g powdered gelatine
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 Henergy cage free egg whites
- Line a roasting dish with baking paper. Sift over an even layer of combined cornflour and icing sugar.
- Pour all but about 2 tablespoons of the water into a small saucepan along with the liquid glucose and sugar.
- Gently bring to the boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar.
- Once the liquid starts to boil stop stirring.
- Boil until the syrup reaches 118 C on a candy thermometer, a soft ball stage. To test this drop a small amount of syrup into a saucer of cold water, as it cools it should form a soft ball.
- While the syrup is boiling sprinkle the gelatine over the remaining water. Sit the cup inside a bowl of water that is boiling hot (not still on the heat), set aside for 5 minutes until the gelatine has dissolved.
- As the syrup is near hot enough start to beat the egg whites in an electric mixer until the are frothy.
- Once the syrup reaches the right stage then increase the mixer speed to high and gradually pour the syrup along with the gelatine and vanilla into the mixer.
- Continue to mix for 5-7 minutes until the mixture cools.
- Spread the marshmallow over the baking paper and set aside for 8 hours at room temperature to set.
- Sift some of the cornflour icing sugar mixture over the surface of the set marshmallow and cut into chunks with kitchen scissors or a sharp knife.
- Store in an airtight container for up to one week.
- Create flavoured marshmallows by using dried fruit powders or cocoa.