Chocolate Swirl Meringues
Serves Serves 4
- 3 Henergy Cage Free egg whites (size 7)
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cornflour
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 125g dark chocolate, melted and cooled a little
- Preheat the oven to 100 C.
- Using an electric mixer beat the egg whites until frothy and then add the sugar, one tablespoon at a time, mixing until smooth and glossy.
- This will take about 5 minutes. Don't be tempted to over mix as this can result in caramel sugar seeping from cooked meringues.
- Mix the vanilla, cornflour and vinegar in at the very end of mixing.
- Pour a thin layer of chocolate over the egg. Don't be tempted to mix it in. It is important for the chocolate to stay separate from the egg whites as the fat will cause the meringues to collapse.
- Using a large spoon (serving spoon size) take a spoonful of mixture and place it on a baking paper lined tray.
- Continue to add more chocolate and spoon the mixture onto the tray while creating a chocolate swirl effect.
- Bake for 1 1/2 hours or until the meringue feels hard. Turn off the heat and allow the meringues to cool in the oven.
- Store in an airtight container.
- Serve with cream and berries.