Caramelised Onion, Feta and Rosemary Tarts
Serves Makes 24
- 3 large brown onions, halved lengthwise and then thinly sliced
- 25g butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 sheets (300g approx) frozen short crust pastry
- 2 Henergy Cage Free Eggs
- 100g feta, crumbled
- 200ml cream
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped rosemary
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Place the onion, butter and oil into a saucepan, cover and cook over a gentle heat for 20 minutes, stirring at times.
- Remove the lid from the pan, increase the heat to moderate, add the balsamic vinegar and allow to cook and reduce until the onion is dark and glossy.
- Set aside to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 200 C.
- Cut pastry rounds with a glass or cookie cutter and line 24 mini muffin tins.
- Whisk the eggs and cream together in a jug until well mixed.
- Divide the onion between the pastry cases, sprinkle with feta and rosemary.
- Pour in the egg and cream mixture, season with ground pepper and a little salt.
- Bake for 15 minutes until puffed and golden.
- Cool on a wire rack and store in an airtight container in the fridge or freeze until required.